Tuesday 23 November 2021

I'm back

 


First of all, I want to apologise to everyone for my absence. I updated this blog more or less regularly for more than a decade as I raised my daughter in the Irish countryside, and commuted back and forth to work in Dublin. On the bus I did most of my writing, and even began doing videos – both of the life I was leading, and of interviews I did with the Irish elders around me.

In the last year, however, I encountered personal troubles that disrupted my life and absorbed my attention from regular writing, and the simultaneous pandemic didn’t help. I continued the newspaper column and the occasional maagazine article in between my day job, but had to pull back my usual work. Now, however, it’s time I got back into it.

I’ve been spending much of the pandemic pulling together my elder interviews and my wirtings into a single work, and I’m still working on it. I hope to post pieces of that as it comes together, along with more videos of the elders I’ve interviewed, and retrospectives on raising The Girl.

As for The Girl, she is a younng woman now, almost done with high school, spending her weekends riding horses, and about every two weeks we spend the day together in Dublin. A few weeks ago we went to see The Maltese Falcon, one of the best detective films ever, and while she was the youngest person in the cinema by a few decades, she loved it almost as much as I did.

I’ll be posting again starting soon, and it will be good to be back.

 

No comments: