Saturday 14 June 2014

Pickled apples a success


























I tried it as an experiment last autumn when we were harvesting our apples -- I used the peels for pectin in making jam, and needed something to do with the chunks of apple flesh.

I took the vinegar I made from my failed parsnip wine, mixed in brown sugar, and poured it over a mix of apple chunks, ginger slices, cayenne, lemon, cloves, peppercorns and star anise. After a few weeks it tasted reasonably good, and I chalked it up as a success.

This spring, I found an uneated jar in the back of the pantry, which had been fermenting for about eight months. I took a bite, and it tasted nothing like what it had last fall -- the intensity of the flavour blows your socks off. I highly recommend the experience.




No comments: