Wednesday 15 March 2017

Things you only see in Dublin

I don't take many pictures in Dublin -- I just work there, and most of my focus is on the traditional countryside that interests me. Most people who visit Ireland go to Dublin, and some never go anywhere else -- but honestly, most of it is a normal city, and many parts are quite grimy.

Admittedly, though, you can come across sights in Dublin that you can't see anywhere else, and in honour of St. Patrick's Day, I decided to share some.


























Walk through the cobblestone alleys near the Guinness brewery, look up, and you see these words fifteen feet above the sidewalk, written in Gaelic and English: STONE UPON STONE UPON FALLEN STONE. I've no idea why it's there; it's just there.
























Down the road from there, in the Liberties neighbourhood, a butcher -- as far as I can tell -- advertised his wares this way:

1.) He took three legs off of the pigs he was butchering;
2.) He painted them the colours of the Irish flag;
3.) He hung them in front of his shop;
4.) He took a photo of them; and
5.) He had the photo painted on the wall next to the shop.

I say "he" -- of course, it could be "she," but I suspect not.


























When I first happened upon this monument in someone's front yard in Dublin, I thought it said "DEE-ging." It was a while before I realised it said "de-AGING." It reads "MCDERMOTT AND MCGOUGH," and above that, "THE DISCOVERERS OF DEAGING AND LIFE EVERLASTING." You'd think, though, that if such a discovery had been made in a small Dublin home, we would have heard about it.






























Linoleum in the UK and Ireland is called "lino" for short. I'm sure this linoleum tiler - or whatever you'd call the job -- was named Richard, and the pun was too good to pass up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It might be that the monument was the work of (or in some other connection with) David McDermott and Peter McGough (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDermott_%26_McGough). They are artists who have exhibited in Dublin a good deal.