I admit it's unusual for me to write something about current events; this blog, and most of my writings for Grit and Mother Earth News, deals broadly with traditional ways of life. That still covers a lot of ground, so on any given day this blog might cover things like:
- Interviews with elderly people here, who remember life before electricity or cars;
- Archived stories on everyday life in Ireland from several decades ago;
- Our attempts to grow and make more things ourselves;
- Articles I write for popular magazines, like Grit and Mother Earth News;
- My not-quite-homeschooling lessons with my daughter;
- Recipes I come up with with traditional life, and
- Pretty pictures.
I'm pleased The American Conservative wanted to run my piece. Even if you're of a more left-of-center bent, as at least a few of my readers are, I recommend you read TAC; they represent a thoughtful, principled kind of conservatism that contrasts sharply with some of the sneering and taunting I used to hear, from both sides, in the mainstream US media. They've run other pieces of mine in the past -- this about peak oil, and this about the collapse of the Irish economy.