Friday, 17 January 2014

Don't insult an Irish poet

Tonight I was reading poetry to The Girl – Robert Louis Stevenson, Rudyard Kipling, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman – and some pieces from the McGuffey Reader. Poetry reminded her of the Ancient Celts – she’s been studying them, and wanted to tell me what she’s learned.

“Do you know they really respected poetry and singing?” she said. “If anyone mis-treated a poet, they could get a Druid curse! You want to know how?”

How? I asked, seeing her eagerness to tell me.

“They would get a supposed to get a sore bottom, they would lose their next battle, and worst of all …. they’d have to speak in baby-talk!”

That sounds pretty embarrassing for warriors, I said. If an Irish person wants to read you their poetry, it's probably best to just go along with it.

Photo: The Girl climbing down into a mountain ravine.

No comments: