Sunday, 1 December 2013

Best of The Girl 4




Thursday, 26 February 2009

Things my four-year-old knows:

The biggest animals ever, blue whales, eat nothing but tiny krill.

You can eat clover but never foxglove.

Kingfishers dive from way up high into the water and come out with a fish.

Frogs in the jungle are bright rainbow colours to let everyone know they are poison and should not be eaten.

Also, I was informed that the plural of “cheetah” is now “pacheetahs.” One cheetah, two pacheetahs, three pacheetahs. The Girl has spoken.

Friday, 20 February 2009

I have a long ride home from Dublin on the bus every night, and the Girl is always happy to see me. Tonight she was feeling restless and contrary, however, even though she had been well-behaved all day.

“Sweetie, I need you to be good just a little bit longer,” I said.

“But I ran out of good,” she said seriously. “All the good ran out of me, and all the badness ran in.”


Thursday, 5 March 2009

Tonight a sickly Girl asked if I would cuddle her and sing “Rock-a-Bye Baby.” “I’ll pretend to be the baby in the story,” she explained.

Nodding, I began singing:

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bow breaks, the cradle will fall ...

“AAAAAAH!” the Girl pretend-screamed, waving her arms. “I’M A BABY AND I’M FALLING OUT OF THE TREE!”

But the fire-fighters caught her in a very comfy trampoline, I said in a hasty final stanza. Let’s sing something else now ...
 

No comments: