Thursday, 28 November 2013

Best of The Girl



If you read this blog regularly, you know my conversations with The Girl have grown ever more adult as she enters her tween years. The maturity of our lessons, though, inspired me to re-read moments from our lives when she was tiny. I've put them together to make, in the next few days, the Best of The Girl.

Wednesday, 3 September 2008
My four-year-old often has trouble getting to sleep these days, and pads downstairs once or twice before finally succumbing. I persuade her to return peacefully by telling her about the Sleep Fairy, who sprinkles fairy dust on children's eyelids and makes them heavy.

This only carries so much weight, though -- the other night she came down annoyed, and slowly announced, "The Sleep Fairy has disappointed me."
 
Friday, 5 September 2008

The other day my four-year-old asked me if she could have blueberry muffins tomorrow. Quickly passing the buck, I told her that her Oma (grandmother) would be minding her, and it was between her and Oma.

"Yaaay!" she shouted. "I get blueberry muffins tomorrow!" 

Saturday, 13 September 2008

The other day I was pulling into our car park with my daughter in back, and as is my bad habit, I unbuckled my belt before the car was stopped. From the back seat I heard a small voice say, "Hey! You put that seat belt back on right now, mister!"

Friday, 19 September 2008

Last night I came home to my four-year-old, who was still awake, and I consented to read her a bedtime story.

" I notice someone has been drawing in this book," I say. "Was that you?"

Of course not.

"Was it Teddy?" I asked.

She looked shocked. "No! Teddy is a good bear, and would not do that!"

"Well, who do you think it was?" I asked.

She slowly reached out to her toy cow and then quickly whirled it around to face her.

"Could it have been YOU, Moo cow?" she demanded accusingly.


No comments: