Thursday, 6 June 2013

Couldn't sleep

"What are you listening to?" said The Girl as I was typing.

I seem to recall putting you to bed, I said -- did you hear the music from your room?

"I was just wondering what it was," she said.

If she learns something, I'll play along for a bit, I thought. It's a sonata by Arcangelo Corelli, I said, from 330 years ago. It always sounds like clockwork to me, I told her, the way all the strings play different melodies that mesh like gears.

Does she know what clockwork is? I suddenly thought. From books we've read, I'm sure, although we don't have any real clockwork mechanisms in our house. Another old technology that no one has anymore, which might become important again someday.

"It sounds like Roald Dahl to me," she said -- she's devouring his books right now. Why do you think so? I asked.

"Well, it's happy and quick, but it's also sad," she said.

I know what you mean, I said -- some instruments are playing brightly and others somberly, and sometimes you hear more of one or another. She nodded.

Here, I said -- let me play something else for you, and you can see what you think. I put in music from a century later -- Beethoven's Seventh -- and the sudden bursts from the orchestra made her jump.

"Harry Potter," she said. "This is Harry Potter music -- it goes from normal to wild suddenly, and jumps around like wizards on brooms."

I never thought of it that way, I said, but you're right. I wonder if Beethoven would be pleased with the image. Okay, back to bed now.



No comments: