Saturday, 29 May 2010

Fairies' wings


“Last night I had a great dream that I went to Fairytown," The Girl said from the back seat, "and there were lots of flowers so big that the petals can reach around and eat fairies’ wings!”

That sounds dangerous, I said. Do the fairies avoid these flowers?

“No, they need it, because it eats their wings when they are rotted."

Rotted? I said, curiously.

"Well, when fairies’ wings get old they run black and curl, like leaves in autumn, and the fairies need to shed them. And then for a while they can’t fly, until they grow new wings again. They do what bugs do .."

Molt? I said.

“Yes, molt, and the flower eats their old wings like a Venus Flytrap, but they don’t hurt the fairies. So the flower helps the fairies, and the fairies feed the flower. The fairies need to lose their wings because wings are delicate and don’t last long, and need to be kept fresh.”

How often do they do this? I asked.

“’Tis a rare thing for them,” she said.

Was it just you in the dream? I asked.

“No, Asterix and Obelix (two book characters she likes) went with me to Fairytown, and a Druid made us a magic potion that gave me wings, and we all danced like ballerinas!”

It sounds like a great dream, I said. How do you know so much about fairies?

“Because I can see them in the woods, and they tell me things!”

Sometimes children can, I said.

2 comments:

Andrew Brown said...

The Boy (eight years old) said, after reading this. "She has a good imagination . . . . or maybe not . . . No, probably not. Yeah, I bet it's real."

Diane said...

She has a great imagination.
Blessings
Diane