Thursday, 1 October 2009

The Girl


"You know who's playing tonight?" the Girl has been asking people excitedly. "LUKA BLOOM! And Papa will be going to see him!"

I've been taking her with me as I advertise the concert to raise money for our group, and she is now more worked up than I am.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Our group has also been hard at work on the Feile na Samhna (Halloween Festival, pronounced FEY-la na SAU-na). We will have booths, music, barter stations, films, talks, food -- and hopefully a few thousand people from all over the area.

We told The Girl that Samhain (SAU-an) was a few weeks away, and asked if she knew what that meant.

"Fireworks!" she cried.

It's true. Halloween is many things here -- it is the Celtic New Year, the old Day of the Dead, and also the Americanised trick-or-treat night, an Irish holiday made kid-friendly in the New World and re-imported. Most of all, though, it is the time for local people to set off fireworks -- in the darkness of the rural fields, as they are nominally illegal. We moved here right before Halloween, when she was still a baby -- and let me tell you, there is nothing a jet-lagged baby loves more than fireworks outside the window.

Each person in our family associates fireworks with different holidays -- my German wife with New Year's Eve, American me with Independence Day and my Irish daughter with Halloween.

3 comments:

RW said...

oh Luka Bloom.
love him.
I have had the good fortune of seeing him twice on the west coast.

Scott said...

Did you know that Glenn Danzig was in a band called Samhain?

I bet they were excellent, like Danzig.

Mimosa S. J. Greer said...

I suspect my Chinese sister-in-law associates them with their new year in late Jan.-early Feb. or whenever it exactly is.

Though for me lighting fireworks in the very cold in a park somewhere on New Years has many fond memories for me from my early 20's.